LABOR LAWYERS IN KNOXVILLE, TN
Labor lawyers most commonly work in or on behalf go unions and union members. They work under relevant statutes and the National Labor Relations Act.
This act gives any and every employee the:
- Right to be free from discrimination and harassment of all types;
- Right to be free from retaliation for filing a claim or complaint against an employer (these are sometimes called “whistleblower” rights);
- Right to fair wages for work performed.
You should hire a labor attorney if you:
- have been harassed, discriminated, or retaliated against by your employer.
- have been terminated or fired from employment and you feel it was an illegal termination.
- find yourself being asked to sign an agreement waiving the rights you are entitled to.
- Are experiencing emotion distress at work. Note: Emotional distress must be either negligently or intentionally inflicted.
Are you a business owner or an employer? Why would a business owner need a labor or employment lawyer?
Owners and employers should retain a labor or employment lawyer to help them develop employment policies prior to hiring any employees. This allows the owner and lawyer to work together to draft employment contracts and advise on the policies and practices they need.
Do you know your right as an employee?
You should always be aware of your rights. For example, The Occupational Health and Safety Act entitles all employees to three fundamental rights:
- The right to know about health and safety matters.
- The right to participate in decisions that could affect their health and safety.
- The right to refuse work that could affect their health and safety and that of others.
I want to know more – what should I do?
You should call an experienced employment lawyer immediately. Even if you still work for the employer, you have a limited amount of time to file claims. Also, you may be required to take other steps before filing a lawsuit or other legal claim. You should Contact Us here at Nelson Law Group immediately so we can help you start collecting paperwork and information on your claim.